Knowles Conservation Restriction

This 11.5 acre privately-owned property is a gently sloping pasture with bordering woodland along the western bank of the West Branch of the Palmer River.

Public Access

The Knowles Conservation Restriction is privately owned with no current public access.

Project/Property Background

The Conservation Restriction represents a voluntary initiative of the current landowners.  Mr. Knowles’ parents purchased ±70 acres in about 1938.  Since then, the Knowles have raised a great variety of livestock and vegetable crops on the premises, much of which was devoted to pasture.  Native American artifacts, such as arrowheads, surfaced during cultivation.  Mr. Knowles calls the large field the “Eleanor and Russell Knowles Memorial Park.”

Conservation Purposes

 The property is conserved with the following purposes in mind:

  • Preservation of Wildlife Habitat
  • Protection of Water Quality
  • Augmentation of Open Space
  • Floodplain Protection
  • Preservation of Land for Agricultural Use
  • Furtherance of Government Policy.  Conservation of the premises will advance goals of the Rehoboth Open Space and Recreation Plan by preserving and protecting:  a) the rural character and qualities; b) natural view sheds and areas of special and important scenic or natural resource value; and c) critical natural resources, including wetlands, water supplies, and watershed lands.
Land Owner/Funding Partners

The land is privately owned by Jonathan and Caroline Knowles. The conservation restriction is held by the Rehoboth Land Trust. Funding partners include the Land Conservation Tax Credit Program under the Massachusetts  Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs.

Knowles Conservation Restriction

Directions: This property is privately owned with no public access. From US Route 44, take Danforth Street north to Carpenter Street. Turn right on Carpenter Street and proceed approximately 1,500 feet northeast to the property, located on the right.