The Rehoboth Land Trust works to preserve the rural character and natural resources in the Town of Rehoboth for the people of today and for generations to come.
The Rehoboth Land Trust was incorporated as a tax exempt 501(c)(3) non-profit in 1989 in the spirit of conservation by our founding board members Jonathan Knowles, E. Otis Dyer, Senior, and William O’Keefe. The first donation of land, the Thayer-Makepeace land on Perryville Road, soon followed.
Under the guidance and support of The Trustees of the Reservations (a.k.a. The Trustees), the RLT undertook its first major fundraising campaign in 2008 to finance its first land purchase, The Ephraim Hunt Ministerial Land. The Rehoboth Congregational Church owned the land since the late 1700’s and was considering selling it to help pay for repairs to the sanctuary ceiling and the steeple, but church members did not want the land to be developed. It was the perfect partnership and the RLT ended up purchasing the property at a bargain sale price which gave the church the monies it needed to make the repairs and simultaneously assured the property would remain in its original natural state.
Since that time, the Rehoboth Land Trust has helped to permanently protected over 250 acres in Rehoboth. Many of the acquisitions and conservation restrictions are a result of partnerships between landowners, the Town of Rehoboth, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and other land trusts or non-profits.
The Rehoboth Land Trust is governed by an all-volunteer board. The following dedicated trustees work year-round to advance the mission of the RLT: